Re: 3*0.0 in FORMAT free I/O

brooker@toka.ireq-ccfm.hydro.qc.ca wrote:
>Folks,

>I have an ASCII output file produced by a FORTRAN program running on one
of
>the Livermore CRAYs. The output was written with FREE FORMAT format. One
of the
>variables has 0.0 as the value for its first three elements. When you
>look at the file at the appropriate place, instead of seeing "0.0, 0.0,
0.0"
>you see "3*0.0"
>
>Has anybody ever ran into this "*" format?

This is standard FORTRAN.

You can even have a line like

3*,4*2.0,4,5,6

read(*) a ! with a(10) = real, say

Then the first three elements of a will be left unchanged.

The n* is called a "null input field": the above is equivalent to

,,,2.0,2.0,2.0,4,5,6

but IDL won't understand that either.

If this is likely to be a common problem, perhaps you should write a PERL
procedure to translate the data.

Fergus

| Fergus Gallagher                              |
| Remote Sensing Applications Development Unit  |
| British National Space Centre                 |
| Monks Wood                                    |
| Huntingdon PE17 2LS / UK                      |
| F.Gallagher@nerc.ac.uk                        |
| http://uh.nmt.ac.uk/bnsc/fgg.html             |