Improved plotting of DOUBLE data

There was a discussion here recently about the limitations of PLOT
because it converts it's arguments to single precision. I just stumbled
across the following interesting routines at the PV-WAVE website, which
seem to work fine under IDL5:

ftp://ftp.boulder.vni.com/pub/unsupported/wave_user/release/plot_dbl.pro
ftp://ftp.boulder.vni.com/pub/unsupported/wave_user/release/oplot_dbl.pro

For example, to show the limitations of PLOT in IDL5:

x = dindgen(10)
y = x*0.0001d + 1000d
plot, x, y, /ynozero, ytickformat='(f10.4)'
oplot, x, y + 0.0001d

Now try PLOT_DBL (which normalizes the data):

plot_dbl, x, y, /ynozero, ytickformat='(f10.4)'
oplot_dbl, x, y + 0.0001d

It seems to work reasonably well in the few examples I've tried.

Cheers,
Liam.

--
Liam E. Gumley
Space Science and Engineering Center, UW-Madison