Re: idl 5.3 runtime on idl 5.2 system work?

In article <3860E450.B41BD95A@ssec.wisc.edu>,
  Liam Gumley <Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu> wrote:

> The problem is not that a function may have changed in IDL 5.3. The
real
> issue is that the format of SAVE files which include compiled routines
> is different in IDL 5.3.

I wouldn't have expected that.  While that may be periodically necessary
for RSI, it is bad news for customers.  We are currently in the process
of accelerating sales of our IDL application to military customers (with
IDLRT 5.2).  Maintenance is currently not included because it would make
for a configuration nightmare having to bi-yearly upgrade our in-field
platforms.  This SAV file format change now precludes us from taking
advantage of any new 5.3 development environment enhancements and new
bug fixes for older problems.

I would submit to RSI that major 6 month upgrades are *NOT* always a
good thing and that backwards compatibility be maintained AT LEAST in
the major revision class (i.e. IDL4.x, IDL5.x, IDL6.x).

Liam, thanks for the info - I stand corrected.  I assumed that since
5.2.1 apps run on 5.2.0 RT that some backwards compatibility existed.
My boss is going to be real happy with this tidbit of information.

-Bill B.

--
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Oscar Gamble, NY Yankees

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.