[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fractal analysis in PV-WAVE, anyone?
- Subject: Fractal analysis in PV-WAVE, anyone?
- From: Ken Ritley <k-ritley(at)dxray.mpi-stuttgart.mpg.de>
- Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:10:17 +0100
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Max-Planck-Institut fuer Metallforschung
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:18123
I would like to analyze some surface topography data (essentially, a
square two-dimensional image - or array real numbers, each number in the
array denoting the height of a surface at the selected coordinates), and
I would like to obtain parameters such as the so-called "fractal
dimension" which characterizes the roughness of the surface or image.
There are many definitions of fractal dimensions and many other types of
so-called "fractal analyses" - and what I would be keen to learn is
whether anyone has already developed PV-WAVE (or failing that, IDL)
macros to compute quantities such as these and would be willing to share
them - or else whether at least someone has pointers to the literature
describing how to evaluate these sorts of quantities in straightforward
I am new to both PV-WAVE and fractal analysis, and really anything along
these lines could save me time and effort.
Many thanks! Any pointers/suggestions/feedback/macros/whatever would be