Re: Listing all top-level widgets

James Tappin (sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk) writes:

> Is anyone aware of any way to generate a list of all the currently realized
> top-level widgets (or better still all the realized modal top-level widgets
> but getting that once provided with a list of all tlb's is easy)?

The idea that comes immediately to mind for me is to write
an object that "checks out" top-level base widgets. But
objects are so incredibly difficult to write that you
practically have to be a genus to write one. :-)

> 2) Require that any modal top-level base deposit it's ID in a common block
> 3) Dig out where the information is stored within xmanager (and hope that
> there are no modal widgets that don't use xmanager
>
> Or maybe there's a more elegant solution altogether to this problem, namely:
> I have a menu that pops up when a file search fails, and it is possible that
> the routine that called the file search was triggered from a modal menu, but
> it's about half-a-dozen calls away so passing a group-leader ID down the
> calling chain isn't really practical.

I think one or the other of us is confused about what "modal"
means. I am certain that any widget program "triggered"
by a button from a modal widget is--almost by definition--
guaranteed NOT to generate events itself. At least I've
never gotten it to work.

P.S. I was reading this is my Psychology 101 text: "Sometimes,
with particularly recalcitrant children, it is necessary to
espouse exactly the *opposite* tack from the one you wish them
to take. This is known as "reverse psychology"."