Re: idl2matlab translate-o-matic

William Thompson wrote:
> Well, I'm also a big emacs fan, but I wouldn't go quite that far.  However, I
> would recommend that one be able to use a user-defined editor.  Editors are
> always very personal things, and one should be free to use whatever editor one
> wishes.
>
> Personally, I mainly use IDL on Unix workstations, and never use idltool--I
> tend to feel it just gets in the way.  I certainly would never use the editor
> built into idltool except in desperation, even on a PC, simply because I'm so
> used to using emacs.  :^)
>
> My vote is for allowing a user-defined alternative editor.

My MO for IDL on UNIX is to edit my code with nedit (http://nedit.org/)
in one window, and have an IDL command line running in another window
below nedit. The editor stays open all the time, saving the program as
needed to re-compile and re-run.

I should say however that in the last year or so I've been doing a fair
amount of work in IDL for Windows, and I've grown accustomed to it's
quirks. However the editor is pretty basic compared to nedit.

Cheers,
Liam.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley