Plotting double precision

Hi all

Does anyone know how I can plot double precision values in IDL. The plot
routine help says:

Plots created with PLOT are limited to the range and precision of
single-precision floating-point values.

Unfortunaltely, this means that values which do not lie in the
+-10^(+-38) range can't be easily plotted. Of course as luck would have
it, my values are of the order 10^(-39), and I'd rather not have factors
of 10 in my labels. The other option would be to take logs before
plotting rather than using the /ylog keyword, but I prefer the axis
label to have the value of the variable, rather than its log.

Thanks
Jacques Basson