Re: matching lists

"J.D. Smith" <jdsmith@astro.cornell.edu> writes:

> Mark Fardal wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been looking at properties of particles in a simulation, and
> > sometimes need to match up the particles in two different subsets.  I
> > typically have (quantity A, index #) for one set of particles, and
> > (quantity B, index #) for another set, and want to compare quantities
> > A and B for the particles that are in both sets.
> >
> > As of late last night I could not think of a good way to do this;
> > WHERE inside a for-loop would be very slow.  Maybe I'm missing
> > something easy, but in any case here's a solution inspired by the
> > recently submitted SETINTERSECTION function.  Hope somebody finds
> > it useful.
> >

> The standard where_array, as posted a few years back, and modified
> slightly for the case of the null intersection, is attached.  It
> will work with floating point and other data types also.  It works
> by inflating the vectors input to 2-d and testing for equality in
> one go.  It will also handle the case of repeated entries.

I also submit CMSET_OP, a function I recently posted on my web page.
(Actually, I'm not sure if Mark is referring to that by
SETINTERSECTION).

Advantages are:
 * works on any numeric or string data type
 * works in order (n1+n2)*log(n1+n2) time or better, rather than n1*n2
 * uses the histogram technique for short integer lists as JD suggests
 * also does "union" and "exclusive or"
 * also does A and NOT B  or vice versa

Disadvantages:
 * it removes duplicates, treating the two lists strictly as sets.
 * returns values, not indices

Craig

http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/idl.html