Re: Area of interest [AOI or ROI] routine

Joe Means (means@fsl.orst.edu) writes:

> I would like to find a routine for determining if a point is in a region
> of interest.  I realize this functionality exists in the IDL object
> graphic routines.  I'll take the time to learn how to use these if I
> have to, but would prefer not to :), if someone knows  of a routine I
> can use.

Gosh, Joe, I have the flu today, but even in my condition I can
figure this one out. :-)

   (1) Get your ROI points in direct graphics. You could
       use something as simple as my rubberband box in
       ZIMAGE. You probably have several programs laying
       around there now.

   (2) Create an IDLanROI object and load the points.

       roi = Obj_New('IDLanROI', x, y, z)

       IF you don't have a z point, don't worry about it,
       just use the x and y points.

   (3) Find out if the point you are interested is inside
       the ROI:

       isIn = roi->ContainsPoints(x1, y1, z1)

   (4) Destroy the object.

       Obj_Destroy, roi