Re: LINUX Installation Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) writes:
> Andrew (noymer@my-deja.com) writes:
>
> > And since we all know
> > how much David loves *nix, I'm sure it will get top billing ;-)
>
> I've decided to bite the bullet and install some flavor
> of LINUX on an old portable I have around here that has
> no hope of running Windows 2000.
>
> Any suggestions for the neophyte LINUX installer?
>
> I'm putting it on a DELL Latitude portable.

I take it to mean that you are a neophyte at installing Linux, rather
than installing IDL.

The best suggestion I can give you is, "get help."  The first time
installing Linux can be a bit daunting, and it would be best to have
somebody experienced at least prompting you along the way.

If you can't find help, or even if you can, you should check out Kevin
Harker's Linux on Laptops page[*], where people report their
experiences installing Linux on particular laptops.  If you scroll
down about 1/4, you will find a bunch of Dell Latitudes listed;
hopefully one that matches yours!  Some are more helpful than others,
and I would suggest reading reports on *similar* models as well.

Perhaps the hardest part about installing Linux on a portable is
getting the right graphics support.  That's another area where having
somebody experienced nearby can really help.

Good luck,
Craig

[*] Harper Laptop Page
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/