Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

Craig Markwardt wrote:

> "Liam E. Gumley" <Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:
> > Michael Plonski wrote:
> > > 1) Complement of Where - so the same call returns where, and a named
> > > variable returns where-not
> >
> > FUNCTION WHERENOT, TEST, COUNT
> > return, where(test eq 0, count)
> > END
> > It requires another 'where' call if you want the where and where-not,
> > but I'm guessing this functionality isn't needed that often.
>
> No, Mr. Plonski, myself, and several others on this news group were
> asking for the WHERE and its complement in the same function call.  It
> does come up a fair amount for me, and it can be a big computation
> expense to do WHERE twice if the arrays are large.

Well now is the time to ask for this feature in WHERE (while IDL 5.4 is
still in Beta). Perhaps a COMPLEMENT keyword could be added: I'm not
that fond of optional arguments.

I suggest that anybody who wants this feature send email to RSI
(mailto:support@rsinc.com) with the subject 'Feature Request' asking for
this functionality to be added to WHERE.

Cheers,
Liam.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley