CALL_EXTERNAL + structures + arrays

G'day,

I'm writing some C code to read compressed data files.  The function
takes a structure argument which has one of the fields as an array.  I
want to be able to dynamically resize this array.  The structure looks
like:

devInfo={devInfoStr, epoch:0L, creationTime:0L, numlines:0L,
linesPerType:LONARR(256), bytesPerType:LONARR(256), lenScanList:0L,
devName:'' , scanlist:????? }

The field I'm talking about is the 'scanlist' field.  The scanlist can
be size 1 to UINTMAX.  How can I may it an array of bytes?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt