Re: IDL/Wave alternatives

On 10 Oct 2000 aaron@boofura.swcp.com wrote:

> I am looking for an IDL, PV-Wave, MatLab, -like product,
> free and open source.
>
> Does anybody know of any suggestions?
>
> I have run into scilab, which seems to be the front-runner to me.
> I once saw a graphing package mentioned in LINUX journal, from
> one of the USA National labs... but it seemed too minimal.
>
> I'm looking for something to do image processing.
> Writing new algorithms.
> If it has a nice interpreted command language, and open arhitecture,
> I'm willing to add c-modules to do things like import/export of
> various file formats.
>
> I just want to get images into data arrays that I can then play with.
>
> Thanks for any help....  including pointers to FAQ's.
> --
> Aaron Birenboim
> Albuquerque, NM
> aaron@ptree.abq.nm.us
> http://www.swcp.com/~aaron

Hi Aaron,
if you are looking for something very similar to IDL/PV-Wave then try
ANA from Lockheed. It is available for several UN*X'es.
I started using it some months ago and I'm surpised about it abilities.
I had no problems to get ANA running on a Linx PC running SuSE 6.2.
Before I changed to ANA I worked for 6 years intensively with IDL on
SunOS, HP-UX and Linux. ANA is so similar to IDL that you making syntactic
error because you think you are in IDL.

ANA is an excellent alternatives depending on your demands. You really
should have a closer look on it. Is satisfies all of your demands:
> I'm looking for something to do image processing.
> Writing new algorithms.
> If it has a nice interpreted command language, and open arhitecture,
> I'm willing to add c-modules to do things like import/export of
> various file formats.

try: http://ana.lmsal.com/

Good luck

Frank Stolpe