Re: BYTES to LONG

Kelly Dean wrote:

>  I am reading in a combination ASCII/BINARY file with USGS DLG
> information as a binary file.
>
> I am able to convert the bytes into ASCII with STRING([72B, 101B, 108B,
> 108B, 111B]).
>
> However, I cannot figure out how to convert the 4 bytes into LONG, whihc
> is the UTM X and Y numbers. Any suggestions?
>
> Kelly

If I understand your question correctly,

if

x = [ 0B, 1B, 1B, 1B ]

then long_x = TOTAL( ISHFT( LONG(x), [24,16,8,0] ) )

??

This gave me long_x = 65793.0 = 65536 + 256 + 1 which seems correct, no?

For some reason the TOTAL returned a floating point number? Weird. Never noticed that
before.

Hmm.

You could also just add the requisite power of two to each individual element before
totaling also. Dunno if either works with a sign bit.

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           Ph:  (301) 763-8000 x7274
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Fax: (301) 763-8545