Connected component analysis

Hi,

I am currently trying to write a program in IDL to analyze brain MRI
images. This involves using various morphological operations. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience using connected component
analysis in IDL.
I am trying to replicate results that I can produce using Analyze AVW's
connect operator (this connects 3D binary structures and gives them a
grey scale value relating to their size).

If anyone has any code or knows of a good way to go about this (or any
good references) please could you let me know.

Thanks for your help

Dave Brennan