[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: It costs how much?!!?!
- Subject: Re: It costs how much?!!?!
- From: "Pavel A. Romashkin" <pavel.romashkin(at)noaa.gov>
- Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:45:57 -0700
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: NOAA-CMDL-CIRES
- References: <email@example.com>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:22381
I would recommend that you check if your college has a site license for
IDL. Many schools do these days.
> Will the people at RSI ever come back to reality here?
I think they are well aware of reality, and large users like NASA and
universities pay the price they request.
> Their academic
> prices are simply too high (a few hundred dollars perhaps) but what
> they are asking is crazy.
I have yet to see an academic version of any software that is not
handicapped in one way or another, so if it was affordable, I'd be very suspicious.
>I would have thought that us
> engineering/physics graduate students are the people that RSI would
> target sales for!
I am sorry, been there myself and understand them. If a company targeted
their market at me and those like me, they'd go broke, so little I could
>In a few years, I'll be in industry making decisions
> about software purchases... too bad they don't realize this...
Sure they do. Then, you will hopefully have the company's money to pay
for it :-)