Re: It costs how much?!!?!

Bill,

I would recommend that you check if your college has a site license for
IDL. Many schools do these days.

> Will the people at RSI ever come back to reality here?

I think they are well aware of reality, and large users like NASA and
universities pay the price they request.

> Their academic
> prices are simply too high (a few hundred dollars perhaps) but what
> they are asking is crazy.

I have yet to see an academic version of any software that is not
handicapped in one way or another, so if it was affordable, I'd be very suspicious.

>I would have thought that us
> engineering/physics graduate students are the people that RSI would
> target sales for!

I am sorry, been there myself and understand them. If a company targeted
their market at me and those like me, they'd go broke, so little I could
afford :-(

>In a few years, I'll be in industry making decisions
> about software purchases...  too bad they don't realize this...

Sure they do. Then, you will hopefully have the company's money to pay
for it :-)

Cheers,
Pavel