Re: IDLv5.4

Greetings again--

Thanks to David and Jeffrey for sending me examples of SAVE files from
IDL version 5.4.

I can confirm that these files are not in a format compatible with
versions earlier than IDL 5.4.  Both files that were sent to me by
David and Jeffrey had a format version of "6".  For comparison, other
IDL 5's produce a file version of "5" and IDL 4 doesn't store a file
version.  There is at least one new record type, and the format of
some existing record types seems to have changed.  More research on
this is needed.

Therefore I can pretty safely conclude that this change was a
*conscious* one by RSI, and not an incidental bug.  It is virtually
guaranteed that files produced by IDL 5.4 will not be backward
compatible.

On the political side, I think all RSI guaranteed was that SAVE files
would be *forward* compatible, so they haven't broken any promises.
However they really should have withheld this change until the next
major revision, and especially not a minor revision.  The IDL 4 -> 5
conversion didn't even break backward compatibility I'm pretty sure.

And finally on the more positive side, I am still working on
documenting my code.  It can read and write SAVE files in the older
format, and in principle can be extended to support both formats.

Craig