IDL (and others) fails on 6.5.10f

We have found an IRIX 6.5.10(f) error that renders some applications
[e.g., RSI's IDL] nearly useless.

*Do not upgrade to 6.5.10f if you need IDL*

More specifically, the IRIX bug has to do with using
brk() or sbrk() to return memory to IRIX. Most programs simply allow
their datasegment to grow without ever shrinking, but a few programs
such as IDL actively manage their memory. These programs may fail
if more than 0x0001f000 bytes (126976) are being returned.

I have a simple test case for this, and I have an open case with
SGI, and will open an RSI case in a moment.
Email me if you want the test case; roberson@ibd.nrc.ca and ask for 'brk2.c'.