Serial Port access

Anybody have any libraries, DLL's, , CALL_EXTERNAL code examples which
provides an IDL application with the ability to read the serial port on
Windows NT machines (Intel).  I am trying to get my IDL app to link to a
fiberoptic thermometer via RS232 to read data continuously.

Just don't want to reinvent the wheel. Not to mention, I have never written
code to access the serial port on a NT box.

BTW, I am referring to the standard COM1/COM2 port on the motherboard not
external PCI/ISA interface cards.

Thanks

Rich