IDL 5.4 and save files

After having a chance to play a little more with IDL save files under
version 5.4, I can say that not every platform has the incompatibility
problem.

As a short summary, some posters here found that their SAVE files
created with IDL 5.4 were not compatible with any other version of
IDL.  I posted a long diatribe on where the problem was.

Under Linux/x86, files created by 5.4 are fully compatible with
earlier versions.  David Fanning had a windows machine and Jeff
Newmark had an Alpha, both of which showed the fault.  Given the
spottiness of the problem, I suspect it is an honest-to-goodness bug.

Did anybody report it, and/or get a reply?

Craig