Re: Fortran call_external under linux

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:06:47 GMT, u600067138@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net
<u600067138@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net> wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>We are currently migrating from SGI IRIX to Red Hat 6.2 Linux. We rely on
>some fortran code, and would prefer to be able to use call_external instead
>of spawn with all its overhead etc.
>
>Apparently IDL does not have any example fortran code to work with the g77
>compiler, and the IRIX code does not compile. It seems that the
>"structure" and "record" constructs which is used to pass
>strings between IDL and fortran is not recognized by g77.
>
>Does anybody have experience with compiling fortran under Linux and linking
>it to IDL (5.4) ?
>
>Greetings, Ole BC, Danish Met. Institute
>

>--
>Sent by obc  from dmi  subpart  from dk
>This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

actually, I don't have experience using g77 with IDL, but I thought that
g77 was just a front-end (translator) to gcc. I have tried to use it on IRIX,
and  had no luck. Generally, my experience with IRIX and the GNU compilers
was that SGI didn't really support gcc and vice versa. You're saying that your
f77 code doesn't compile in IRIX using g77 right? From what I've heard about
g77, it is a work in progress and far behind gcc. On top of that, IRIX support
of g77 is even less reliable. It may be that the functionality you're looking
for in g77 doesn't exist. Hopefully you can find a more knowledgable response,
I'd look into the g77 documentation.

--
Steve S.

yubdub