Re: printing floats/integer

Sean Heukels <sean77=cuthere=@dds.nl> wrote in message
9881p0$55o$1@newshost.accu.uu.nl">news:9881p0$55o$1@newshost.accu.uu.nl...
> I wrote a small module for integers. The variable is formatted and
returned.

> "1         " returns as "1"
>
> Now this doesn't work with floats. for example if I want to print
"1.22221"
> dont want to see it as "1.222221000000000000000" or
> "1.222222                  "
>
> Does anyone know how I can solve this ??
>
> Greets Sean

Please see the following code.
Note that there is a main level example code at the bottom of the function.

Using a = 123121.22222200000d
I get the following output:
Normal print command:
       123121.22
Print command with GetFormat:
123121.222222

Cheers,
bob stockwell
stockwell@co-ra.com

function getformatstring,number

; this should be big enough to show everything
showallformatcommmand = '(f50.25)'

nsize = size(number,/st)
case nsize.type of
;0:  Undefined
;1:  Byte
;2:  Integer
;3:  Longword integer
4: begin;  Floating point
 s =  STRING(FORMAT=showallformatcommmand, number)
 s = strtrim(s,1) ; remove leading blanks
 slen = strlen(s)
 dpos=strpos(s,'.') ; find decimal posiiton
 if dpos eq -1 then begin
  ; this shouldn't happen
  print,'Error: no decimal place found'
  formatstring = ''
 endif else begin
  ; chop off lagging 0s
  zpos=0
  doflag=1
  while doflag do begin ; find how many lagging zeros there are
   char = strmid(s,zpos,1,/reverse)
   if char eq '0' then begin
    zpos=zpos+1
   endif else begin
    doflag=0
   endelse
  endwhile
 endelse
 end
5:  begin;  Double-precision floating
 s =  STRING(FORMAT=showallformatcommmand, number)
 s = strtrim(s,1) ; remove leading blanks
 slen = strlen(s)
 print,'slen:',slen
 print,s
 dpos=strpos(s,'.') ; find decimal posiiton
 if dpos eq -1 then begin
  ; this shouldn't happen
  print,'Error: no decimal place found'
  formatstring = ''
 endif else begin
  ; chop off lagging 0s
  zpos=0
  doflag=1
  while doflag do begin ; find how many lagging zeros there are
   char = strmid(s,zpos,1,/reverse)
   if char eq '0' then begin
    zpos=zpos+1
   endif else begin
    doflag=0
   endelse
  endwhile
 endelse
 end
;6:; Complex floating
;7:  String
;8:  Structure
;9:; Double-precision complex
;10: Pointer
;11: Object reference
;12:; Unsigned Integer
;13:; Unsigned Longword Integer
;14:; 64-bit Integer
;15:; Unsigned 64-bit Integer
else: begin
 print,'Error: Number not a supported type.'
 return,'' ; null string
endelse
endcase

d =slen-dpos-zpos-1
w = dpos+d+1 ; 1 for the decimal place
formatstring = strcompress("(f"+string(w)+'.'+string(d)+")",/rem)
return,formatstring

end

; ******    main level code here
a = 123121.22222200000d
;must become 1.22222 without leading or trailing spaces.
b=  1.00

print,'Normal print command:'
print,a
print,'Print command with GetFormat:'