Re: Linux and 3D graphics hardware support

Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> my Boss is buing me a new Linux PC to run IDL on.  One of the things I
> want to do is 3D graphics, and I know that IDL can support some hardware
> acceleration of 3D graphics.
>
> Where can I find information on what video cards can be be used for
> that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

  Carsten;

  Info on the status of 3D and Linux is at  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/.

  Hardware acceleration requires certain boards and usually  a
  special X server. See
  http://glide.xxedgexx.com/genframe.php3?hardware for more info.

  MetroLink used to talk quite a bit about their X server, which they
  claim supported hardware accelerated OpenGL on some cards, but
  they're rewritten their web pages and I can't find it now.

  Check http://www.metrolink.com and drop them a line.

  Looks like Liam already posted the URL for Xi graphics. They're one
  of the other companies supplying this functionality.

whd

--
William Daffer: 818-354-0161: William.Daffer@jpl.nasa.gov