Re: IDL sockets

From: "George Constantinides" <gconstantinides@mhl.nsw.gov.au>
> Has any one used the SOCKET function successfully?
>
> I have tried the Craig Markwardt suggestion from an earlier post without
> any success.
>
> > socket, unit, 'cow.physics.wisc.edu', 80, /get_lun
> > printf, unit, 'GET http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/idl.html'
> > text = ''
> > while eof(unit) EQ 0 do begin
> >  readf, unit, text
> >  print, text
> > endwhile
> > free_lun, unit

I hadn't, but I was sufficiently intrigued to give it a go. I substituted a
local WWW site for Craig's and tried it out. It worked!  Now all I need to
do is load the text into a file, open it in a browser, and I can surf the
Web with IDL!

I didn't bother trying to connect directly to Craig's site because we are
behind a firewall. Are you? If you are, then the HTTP queries have to be
sent to your proxy server and formulated a bit differently.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]