Re: Optics simulation with IDL?

The light guides operate on the principle of total internal reflection
which
necessitates that the light-carrying core have a higher index of refraction
than the outside cladding (for simple plexiglass/perspex the "cladding" is
air). This is why covering it made the transmittance go down. Also the
guide should be as straight as possible or bends being gradual instead of
sharp.

Dave.