Re: keyword question

Randall Skelton (rhskelto@atm.ox.ac.uk) writes:

> I am trying to have an array *optionally* returned using a keyword
> and I don't know the dimension of the array prior to the call.  Why is
> it that the passed keyword needs to be defined in IDL prior to being used
> as a keyword?
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

You are using the wrong function to check the keyword.
KEYWORD_SET should *only* be used to test keywords that
have a binary function. That is, they are either on or off,
true or false, 0 or 1, etc.

What you want to know is if you keyword is *defined* or
not. You use N_ELEMENTS to tell you this:

   IF N_Elements(b) EQ 0 THEN b = FltArr(10)

Here is an article containing more information on this
topic:

   http://www.dfanning.com/tips/keyword_check.html