Re: google search postings

Reimar Bauer <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> did someone have more experience with this newsgroup search machine.
> In the past I have often used dejanews. Are there differences between
> booth.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=plot&as_ugroup=comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Ahh... Thanks for pointing this out.. Gave me a chance to go back to the
"really old days", and I found an old "IDL wish list" I wrote in 1995 (along
the lines of the "top ten wishes for IDL in the next release"):

1. Pointers that work like *real* pointers (Check!)
2. A coherent way of deciding the result dimensions in indexed operations
   (nope!)
3. Possibility of Macros (nope!)
4. Possibility of having widget applications + command line available
   at the same time (like the help facility) (check - well, almost, they
   don't work without retalls)
5. Different brackets for array subscripts and function calls (check!)
6. A portable pseudo-language to produce true *compiled* subroutines
   (nope)

So, 2 1/2 out of 6 isn't that bad.. David, do you do recycling?

Stein Vidar Hagfors Haugan
ESA SOHO SOC/European Space Agency Science Operations Coordinator for SOHO

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,      Email: shaugan@esa.nascom.nasa.gov
Mail Code 682.3, Bld. 26,  Room G-1,   Tel.:  1-301-286-9028/240-354-6066
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA.	       Fax:   1-301-286-0264