IDL and UNIX setenv

I have an executable (compiled from C) which I'd like to
run from within IDL using SPAWN.  However, I'd like to refer
to the executable without prepending a pathname:

IDL> spawn, "myprog", result

instead of

IDL>spawn,"/usr1/guest/bin/myprog", result

I tried to append the "/usr1/guest/bin/" directory to my UNIX
path before starting an IDL session, but the path information
doesn't seem to be propagated into IDL.

What else, if anything, can I do to get IDL to find "myprog"?

Dan