24 bit color depth confuses my color table

Hi,

I recently switched from IDL on Windows to IDL on Linux,
and have some problems with my color tables.
It seems that IDL cannot really cope with 24 bit color depth,
at least not in a way that I would understand.
So I followed the tips on David Fanning's web page, said
"device,decomposed=0",
tried all kinds of pseudo/true/direct color with all kinds of depths
(8/16/24), but never got a satisfying result.
I always get only 64 colors, and the color table seems completely chaotic (no smooth transition from blue via green to red...
but arbitrary jumps in color from one color index to the next).

Can anybody tell me the secret for using color on 24-bit Linux displays?
thanks,
Daniel