Re: help with findfile

From: "David Miller" <dom@virl.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> I am using the FINDFILE routine to list all of the available data files in
> particular directory. I then search through the list to get starting and
> ending points for a particular image. However, the filenames returned by
> FINDFILE are not in order (alphabetical), they are all mixed up. Any way
> get them in order? I am using IDL 5.4 on Win 2000.

Since others have already responded with the correct solution (sort them!)
I'll just throw in a tangential $0.02c. Does anyone know what determines the
order of file listings returned by IDL on Windows? I could swear that when I
first installed IDL on Windows 2000, the file listings were consistently in
reverse alphabetical order. This applied to output from findfile and also to
the !PATH system variable (which caused me a small amount of grief until I
cleared out a few duplicate .pro files). I think it also applied to some
non-IDL utilities. I just went to check it again and I find everything in
forward alphabetical order! The only explanation I can think of is that I
converted my main hard disk from FAT32 to NTFS a week ago.

So here's another solution to your problem: convert your disk to NTFS. But
sorting the output from findfile is more reliable :-)

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]