Easy way to do superscripts, greek letters, etc.?

Hi all,

I'm migrating to IDL from Supermongo
(http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~rhl/sm/) and was wondering if there was
an easier way to get superscripts and greek letters than the cryptic !*
escape sequences mentioned in David Fanning's book.

I would really love it if I could just input TeX escape sequences like
\phi (as in supermongo), but I don't know if that's even possible in
IDL. I would settle for a some sort of character picker program. Does
anyone know of program that would do this (or if it can be done in IDL)?

Thanks.

Amanda

--
Amanda Kepley