Re: Variable name to string

Chad Bender wrote:

> Hello-
>
> Can anyone please point me towards the solution of the following
> problem?
>
> Say I want to create a program that will write the contents of a named
> array to a
> file of the same name.  This could be accomplished by having the program
> prompt
> the user for both the variable name (getting the array by reference) and
> the file name
> (getting the string naming the output file), and the user just puts the
> same
> thing twice.  However, I would like to be able to do it so the user only
> has one prompt.
> The program asks what variable should be output, the user gives the
> variable name,
> and somehow the program is able to get a string with contents equivalent
> to the variable
> name for use in opening the output file.
>
> Seems like it should be an easy problem, but for the life of me I can't
> figure it out.
>
> In case it matters, I'm running IDL 5.4 under RedHat Linux 6.2.
>
> Thanks
> Chad Bender
> Dept of Physics and Astronomy
> State University of New York @ Stony Brook

execute won't work by runtime

If the program should work by runtime you should think a bit about using
of structures

PRO example

   str=''
   READ ,'INPUT:',str

   value=10

   struct={str:value}
   PRINT,TAG_NAMES(struct)
   PRINT,struct.(0)
END

For structures useful routines are:

http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/text2tagname.tar.gz
struct={txt2tagname(str):value}

http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/text_position.tar.gz

x=tag_names(struct)
pos_x=tag_position(struct,x)

for i=0,n_elements(pos_x)-1 do begin
 print,x[i]
 print,struct.(pos_x[i])
endfor

For further routines and licensing please have a look at
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

regards

Reimar

--

Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

read something about linux / windows
http://www.suse.de/de/news/hotnews/MS.html