[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: IDL crashing badly on my solaris 8 system
- Subject: Re: IDL crashing badly on my solaris 8 system
- From: Jonathan Joseph <jj21(at)cornell.edu>
- Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:46:49 -0400
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Cornell University
- References: <3B659F25.6A0B2F26@cornell.edu>
- Sender: jj21(at)cornell.invalid (on scorpio.astro.cornell.edu)
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:25952
Still crashing the CDE session - but I now have more info.
Both Peter Clinch and RSI very promptly (thank you) suggested that
I select C Posix from the language menu at the login screen.
Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem.
It turns out that the font error messages may have been
a red herring. After questionnig the student, I
discovered that his problem resulting in a bunch of font error messages
followed by a crash of IDL, and the IDL crash that crashed the whole CDE
session were two distinct problems. Perhaps the C-Posix idea
will fix font problem crash, but I'll worry about that later.
We found that we could easily reproduce the CDE session crash by
typing the following command:
So, I did a little digging to see if I could find the
exact line in xplot3d.pro that caused the crash. And I could.
It turned out to be the line:
I then tried running one of my own object graphics programs, and
it also killed the CDE session (presumably at the draw command,
but I didn't verify that).
So, the problem seems closely tied to using object graphics.
Can anyone out there make an educated guess as to how this
might result in a crash of the CDE session?
I've crashed the session using either IDL 5.3 or 5.4, so if it's
an IDL bug it's not a new 5.4 problem.
Thanks for any input.