Re: User selectable lower array bound?

Hello,

Sorry to be chiming in so late on this subject; I have a great excuse
though.  I have been completely absorbed by Liam's newly arrived book.
It's wonderful!  Yeah, Liam!

I got to thinking about the discussion that David, Pavel and JD had
regarding objects when it hit me that you could 'roll-your-own' (I'm not
a smoker so I hope I'm using that phrase properly).

I just whipped up an object to allow you to do just this kind of
pseudo-indexing for 1d vectors.  Be aware that I have included no error
handling and haven't given this whole idea much thought (I'm still
glassy eyed from following that object thread.)  Also, be aware that I
have given it a name that may prove to be a poor choice in the long
run... but you should get the idea.  By the way, the big idea here is
that the defined structure persists as long as you keep the object going
during a session... that's how it "remember's" the value of lower bound.

Now back to my book,

Ben

;--------START HERE
; EXAMPLE
;	IDL> x = obj_new('findgen', 11, lower = -5)
;	IDL> print, x->GetData([-4, 0, 5])
;      1.00000      5.00000      10.0000
;	IDL> obj_destroy, x

;------
;	GetData
;------
FUNCTION FINDGEN::GetData, Indices

Return, (*Self.Data) [Indices - Self.Lower]

END; GetData

;------
;	SetProperty
;------
PRO FINDGEN::SetProperty, N = N, Lower = Lower

If n_elements(Data) NE 0 Then *Self.Data = Data

If n_elements(N) NE 0 Then Begin
		;1d vectors only
	Self.N = N[0]
		;either 'redefine' the variable or 'undefine' it
	If Self.N GT 0 Then *Self.Data = Findgen(Self.N) Else $
		Dummy = Size(Temporary(*Self.Data))
EndIf

If n_elements(Lower) NE 0 Then Self.Lower = Lower[0]

END	;SetProperty

;------
;	GetProperty
;------
PRO FINDGEN::GetProperty, Data = Data, N = N, Lower = Lower

If Arg_present(Data) Then Data =  *Self.Data
N = Self.N
Lower = Self.Lower

END	;GetProperty

;------
;	Initialization
;------
FUNCTION FINDGEN::INIT, N, LOWER = lower

If n_elements(N) EQ 0 Then Self.N = 0L Else Self.N = 0L > N[0]
If n_elements(lower) EQ 0 Then Self.Lower = 0L Else Self.Lower = Lower[0]

If Self.N GT 0 Then Self.Data = Ptr_NEW(Findgen(Self.N))	Else $
	Self.Data = Ptr_NEW(/Allocate)

Return, 1
END	;Init

;-----
; CleanUp
;-----
PRO FINDGEN::CleanUp

If Ptr_Valid(Self.Data) Then Ptr_Free, Self.Data

END	;CleanUp

;-----
;	Definiton
;------