Re: Max value vector

Thomas C. Stubbings wrote:
> What I would need is something like the MATLAB command max(i) where i is an
> array(n,m) and max(i) returns a vector containing the maximum value of each
> column. The IDL max command only returns a scalar containing the absolute
> maximum of the array.

Try Craig Markwardt's CMAPPLY at
http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/idl.html#cmapply

> I even tried a big loop running through each column to find the max of each,
> but IDL doesnt accept loops with 64000 iterations

In fact IDL *does* accept loops with 64000 iterations; you just need to
make sure your loop variable is of LONG type, e.g.

for i = 0L, 64000L do begin
  if (i mod 1000L) eq 0L then print, i
endfor

Cheers,
Liam.

--
Liam E. Gumley
Space Science and Engineering Center, UW-Madison