Re: Complex -> Real FFT

David Fanning wrote:

> Jeremy Kepner (jvkepner@muse.Princeton.EDU) writes:
>
> >   Does anyone know of a Complex to Real FFT that has
> > been implemented in IDL.  (Likewise a corresponding
> > Real to Complex FFT would also be nice).
>
> I'm probably missing something deep here, but
> doesn't this do what you want?
>
>    result = FLoat(complex_fft_expression)
>    result = Imaginary(complex_fft_expression)

If you don't care about phase information with your FFT data, and
instead want just an absolute power measurement (like a spectrum
analyzer), you could use
	power_spectrum = Abs(complex_fft_data)
[the abs function returns the value of sqrt(real^2+imaginary^2) if it's
argument is complex]
Conversely, you could also get the phase info into an array
	phase_array = Tan(complex_fft_data)
[The tan function also nicely works with complex data]
>From these two arrays you could then go back to the complex array.
However, as far as I know, there is no way to obtain the two independent
variables of the original complex array after it's been converted to
reals.

      Jeffrey Wasserman  -  Member of Technical Staff
      Group 83  Electro-Optical Materials and Devices
           MIT Lincoln Laboratory  Lexington, MA
Warning - I am using a government mail server, any un-
authorized spam mail will be prosecuted!  Change the x's to
dots and the y to 'at' sign to respond: wassermanyllxmitxedu