plot irregularly gridded map data

I have an irregularly gridded latitude/longitude data set.  Although the data is in a polar (radius, azimuth) format like a radar swath, I have the exact lat/lon position for each point.  I cannot plot the data using map_image because that requires a regular grid.  I used map_patch successfully on small portions of the data.  Unfortunately, any attempts to plot larger portions of the data using map_patch result in the error:
 % TRIANGULATE: Points are co-linear, no solution.
% Error occurred at:  MAP_PATCH         181
  /usr/local/rsi/idl_5.2/lib/map_patch.pro

Does anyone know:
  a) how to plot this type of "radar swath" data onto a map?
or
  b) how to sort the data in a way to work around the problem of "co-linear" points?

-- Tom Spisz
The Applied Physics Laboratory
The Johns Hopkins University
Bldg 4 Room 138