Re: Easy way to make hard copies at full printer resolution

>     Kristian>  Ideally I'd like to sit and type into the IDL command
>     Kristian> prompt, using native IDL commands and my own (wrapper,
>     Kristian> mainly) routines and, when a useful plot resulted on
>     Kristian> the screen, make a hard copy of it without any extra
>     Kristian> trouble.
>
> Why wouldn't setting the device to 'ps', doing your plot to a temp
> file, then shelling a 'gs' or 'gv' command work?  Your button could
> just lpr the temp file.
>
> Or, if you have to have the window in an IDL canvas, plot to 'ps',
> execute 'gs' with your screen resolution and output to a TIFF, then
> read the temp file and TV to your display.

Interesting.  But I think Kristian had a valid point there.  You'll
always be able to find find work arounds, but perhaps it's also sensible
to question the functions provided in original product, considering the
price tag.

want to print?  do everything twice or else write your own software
wrappers - it doesn't make sense to me.

nick