Re: FLASH - Colors Update

Liam Gumley (Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu) writes:

> So while DirectColor mode does allow immediate graphics update when the
> color table is changed, it also exhibits a very annoying color-flashing
> behavior (at least on my system).

Liam, I have some more data coming in now (much of it
contradictory, as has always been my experience with
DirectColor visual classes), but here is one more
thing to try. Can you force IDL to get a private
color map. Something like this, I think:

   IDL> Device, Direct=24
   IDL> Window, Colors=256
   IDL> Device, Bypass=0

I'm told the BYPASS keyword may not be required in
IDL 5.2, so you might try with and without.

DirectColor has always been extremely problematic
in my experience, but I guess it *can* work if we
figure out how to get it set up correctly.