Re: a plea for more reliable mathematical routines

Liam Gumley (Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu) writes:

> I'd guess IDL is using the platform vendor supplied libm.

I was visiting RSI this morning and ran into two
of the people who ought to be following this discussion
closely.

They are. In fact, they are *extremely* concerned about
math accuracy in IDL. If you know of specific problems,
and you haven't yet reported them to RSI's technical
support staff, this would be an *excellent* time to
do so. :-)

One of their concerns, obviously, is the accuracy of
vendor-supplied libraries. We were discussing a
known VMS problem this morning.