[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: where() and IEEE NaN
- Subject: Re: where() and IEEE NaN
- From: badastro(at)smart.net (Philip Plait)
- Date: 8 Nov 1999 18:10:17 GMT
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Smartnet Internet Services, LLC of Laurel, Maryland
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:17169
In comp.lang.idl-pvwave Eric J. Korpela <email@example.com> wrote:
> In article <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
> William Thompson <email@example.com> wrote:
> >Isn't it simpler (and faster) to say
> > IDL> print,where(a ne a)
> It is on IEEE compliant platforms. But IDL on some platforms
> is not IEEE compliant. My solution is not to use those platforms.
I had a DEC Alpha for a few years that some, um, interesting
effects in IDL. I'm on a sparc now and have no problems.
I cannot remember the details now, but a couple of years ago we had
this NaN problem. I typed in print,where(a ne a) and it barfed. So
I did the workaround of hh = where(a-a ne 0) and it worked.
* * * * * The Bad Astronomer * * * *
Phil Plait firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bad Astronomy Web Page: http://www.badastronomy.com