Re: DirectColor on linux

David Fanning wrote:

> Vincent FAVRE-NICOLIN (favre@polycnrs-gre.fr) writes:
>
> >       CONCLUSION : IMHO, it looks like DirectColor is *not possible* under
> > Linux with Xfree86 in 24,and 32 bpp (IDL does not work in 16bpp). Color
> > Table manipulation is thus only possible in 8bpp visual mode (a real
> > shame considering today's video cards...). There seems to be 3 ways out
> > of this problem :
> >       1) easiest, cheapest : use 8bpp mode
>
> UUghhh. What will your wife say about all that money you
> spent for equipment you said you absolutely NEEDED?

     Yep, so we'll end up saying we desperatly NEED ;-) to buy solution
(3)

> >       2) harder : change the IDL program for a specific support of TrueColor
> > mode (ie you have to change the way you write colors when you *create*
> > the graphics, I haven't much experimented in that...)
>
> Perhaps a *bit* harder, but almost trivial these days, what
> with all the free stuff hanging around people's web
> pages. All you really have to do is figure out a way
> to re-display your graphics once you muck with the
> color table. There are any number of ways to do this,
> none of which would take more than 15 minutes to
> implement, I shouldn't think. In this case, it is
> probably nothing more than re-executing a TV command
> once the colors have been changed. Not too hard.

Right. My choice, too. Just a change of colors before TV/plot/whatever,
for most cases. It's clearly not *hard*, but just annoying since IDL
should work for all
platforms with very limited changes,and -IMHO-, without any change
between
one *nix to another. I will indeed be using this solution,and duplicate
every display/graphic procedure for TrueColor... That should't take more
than
2 hours for 3-4 procedures... But I have a feeling it will be a bit more
funny
when using XOR to display text (reversibly) over images. I'm in for some
groovy colors =-)

> >       3) expensive : buy a commercial X-Windows driver that supports
> > DirectColor in 24 or 32 bpp.
>
> Uh, uh. No. The boss ain't goin' for THAT solution! :-(

	Probably not, but considering the price of IDL, it may not be
*so* expensive !! It mainly depends whether the IDL user is a programmer
or not...

Vincent FAVRE-NICOLIN                   # Tel Labo :(33) 4 76 88 74 04
Laboratoire de Cristallographie-BP 166  # Tel Perso:(33) 4 76 03 19 66
38042 GRENOBLE Cedex 09     FRANCE      #