Strange memory problem

When I do the following:

temp=bytarr(1000,1000,25)
temp(*)=10

my computer (a Sparc20 with 128MB of *available* ram) grinds
to a halt.  Actually it starts using swap.  Don't tell me
PV-Wave is making 5 or 6 copies of the array just to do this
simple process!

Has anyone else seen this curious behavior on PV-Wave?  IDL?  I have
verified it on a PC, and using different versions of PV-Wave(6.1,7.0).

I have played around with the z-value and 25 (i.e. 25MB) is roughly
the cutoff for going into swap for a 128MB system.

Kyle