Re: Strange memory problem

"R. Kyle Justice" wrote:

> When I do the following:
>
> temp=bytarr(1000,1000,25)
> temp(*)=10
>
> my computer (a Sparc20 with 128MB of *available* ram) grinds
> to a halt.  Actually it starts using swap.  Don't tell me
> PV-Wave is making 5 or 6 copies of the array just to do this
> simple process!
>
> Has anyone else seen this curious behavior on PV-Wave?  IDL?  I have
> verified it on a PC, and using different versions of PV-Wave(6.1,7.0).
>
> I have played around with the z-value and 25 (i.e. 25MB) is roughly
> the cutoff for going into swap for a 128MB system.
>
> Kyle

I don't have access to a Sparc, but I tried this on PV-WAVE 7.0 on
both Windows NT 4.0 and RedHat Linux 6.0 on a system with 256 Mb of
physical RAM and didn't experience any problem: i.e., no swapping,
returned to the prompt within 3-4 seconds.

FWIW, if you want to save time and memory, a faster way to do the above
is as follows:

WAVE> temp = BYTARR(1000,1000,25, /NoZero) + 10B

Note, was it your intent to end up with temp being an INTARR? By
assigning
10 instead of 10B, that is what you're ending up with.

Regards,
Mark Williams
Resource Engineering, Inc.