Re: monte carlo analysis

I often set up simple monte carlo analyes in IDL especially when
visualization is useful for debugging.  However, I have found that you
have to be VERY careful about how you code your loops because you can
easily loose a factor of 10 in performance if you don't design your
loops correctly.  I have also found just recently that the profiler in
5.3 (I don't know if it's in earlier versions) is very handy for
determining where time is being spent and where you should therefore
look to optimize run time.

If, however, you're going to run a lot of monte carlos -- hundreds of
thousands or millions of iterations -- then I think you should really
consider C or Fortran.

Howard Onishi