Re: Make TV a function of X?

In article <854pqn$lpa$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  raouldukey@my-deja.com wrote:

> I am thinking I will have to make some sort of fake data set by
> making a fake time array and put the data in where it exists, and
> fill it with zeros where it doesn't.   Yuck!   This has to be
> a common problem, so has anyone else thought of a solution?
>
> Cheers

Raoul,

Well here's a long shot.  I took interest in your problem because there
is a possibility that I might encounter something similiar.

Try a thumbnail approach:

In window A, display the main waveform over the entire time span
resampled to some reasonable data length (2k-8k pts ?).  Make sure that
every pulse GROUP is represented on the plot, even if you have to do it
artifically - avoid aliasing.  This is kinda like a thumbnail.  Enable
the window for mouse events.  Allow the user to place the mouse anywhere
on the plot (choosing a pulse train of interest) and click.  Decode the
event, obtain the X position of the mouse and translate it into units of
your X scale.  That should determine which group of pulses is being
targeted.  Knowing that, pop up a secondary plot window showing that
pulse train in detail - possibly using a plot with a slider on the X
display range if the number of points is large.
    The alternative is to have the 2nd window track the mouse in
realtime - decoding on the fly and presenting the data continuously.
The 2nd window would only update if the mouse is over an 'active
region'.

Obviously, this is just an outline with alot of gaps to be filled in.  I
have used some parts of this idea on images (which are waveforms anyway)
and am very satisfied with the results.  Learned alot of IDL
functionality in the process.

Good Luck,

Bill B.

--
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Oscar Gamble, NY Yankees

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.