Re: Postscript Output

Ingo (ingo.meisel@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de) writes:

> I'm trying to export the contents of an IDL graphics window to a
> postscript file. This is the IDL code I've been using so far in a
> subroutine:
>
> set_plot,'PS'
>
> device, /color, file='file.ps'
>
> tv,image   ;the variable image contains the pixel raster to store
>
> device, /close
>
> A postscript file is generated, however, the page is empty.
> What is wrong? Who can help me?

The page is empty!? I would have expected lousy output,
given the way you have configured the PostScript device,
but I wouldn't have expected the page to be empty.
I'm going to guess your image data isn't scaled into
256 values. Try something like this:

   thisDevice = !D.Name
   Set_Plot, 'PS'
   Device, Color=1, Bits_per_Pixel=8, File='image.ps'
   TV, BytScl(image)
   Device, /Close_File
   Set_Plot, thisDevice

You might also want to have a look at the Producing Perfect
PostScript Output section of my IDL Programming Tips
page for a number of other PostScript tips.

   http://www.dfanning.com/documents/tips.html#PostScript