Re: Not where

David Fanning wrote:

> Kenneth P. Bowman (bowman@null.edu) writes:
>
> > I often find myself using WHERE to divide an array into two parts.  I do
> > one operation on the first part and a different operation on the second
> > part.
> >
> > It would be nice to have an auxiliary array containing all the indices
> > that are *not* returned by WHERE in i.  For example, it would be nice to
> > do
> >
> > a = FLTARR(...)
> > i = WHERE((a...), count, NOT_WHERE = j, NOT_COUNT = not_count)
> > IF (count     GT 0L) THEN a[i] = ...
> > IF (not_count GT 0L) THEN a[j] = ...
> >
> > Lacking the above changes to WHERE, can anyone suggest a fast and easy
> > way to get j=NOT(i) ?

i = where( a gt something )
j = where( a le something )

Easy, yes, maybe not too fast, and not very elegant. Martin Schulz wrote
(and probably posted) the routine INV_INDEX, which I attached.

> Now *here* is a place where Alex's matrix operations will
> really pay off!
>
> I'll leave it to Alex to handle this question. :-)

Hmm, now here I would rather use INV_INDEX instead...

mask = where( a gt something)
a = (a+1) * mask  + (a-5) * (1B-mask)

This would add 1 to a[i] and subtract 5 from a[NOT(i)], for example. But
I admit that
	j = inv_index( i )
	a[i] = a[i] + 1
	a[j] = a[j] - 5
looks better. (Not cooler, but better.)

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     Wonko@weird.cologne.de          PGP Key available
                    alex@pet.mpin-koeln.mpg.de
;-------------------------------------------------------------
;+
; NAME:
;        INV_INDEX
;
; PURPOSE:
;        find the indices that do NOT match a WHERE condition
;
; CATEGORY:
;        array index handling
;
; CALLING SEQUENCE:
;        RESULT = INV_INDEX(INDEX,TOTALN)
;
; INPUTS:
;        INDEX : an index array, e.g. previously generated by a
;              WHERE command (may be -1)
;        TOTALN : the number of elements in the reference data
;              set, i.e. totaln = n_elements(index)+n_elements(result)
;
; KEYWORD PARAMETERS:
;
; OUTPUTS:
;        an integer array with all indices that were NOT in index
;        or -1 if index was complete
;
; SUBROUTINES:
;
; REQUIREMENTS:
;
; NOTES:
;        The function returns -1 if one of the following errors occurs:
;        - invalid number of arguments
;        - index variable is undefined
;        - totaln is less than n_elements(index)
;        - totaln less or equal 1, i.e. no associated data
;        The last error does not produce an error message, since this
;        feature was found to be very useful (in EXPLORE, the widget based
;        interactive data explorer)
;
; EXAMPLE:
;        data = findgen(50)
;        index = where(data ge 25)
;        invers = inv_index(index,n_elements(data))
;        print,invers
;
;        IDL prints numbers 0 through 24
;
; MODIFICATION HISTORY:
;        mgs, 10 May 1997: VERSION 1.00
;        mgs, 18 Aug 1997: added template and check if n_elements(index) eq 0
;
;-
; Copyright (C) 1997, Martin Schultz, Harvard University
; This software is provided as is without any warranty
; whatsoever. It may be freely used, copied or distributed
; for non-commercial purposes. This copyright notice must be
; kept with any copy of this software. If this software shall
; be used commercially or sold as part of a larger package,
; please contact the author to arrange payment.
; Bugs and comments should be directed to mgs@io.harvard.edu
; with subject "IDL routine inv_index"
;-------------------------------------------------------------

function inv_index,index,totaln

   newindex = -1     ; default: nothing left

   ; check for errors:
   if (N_Params() ne 2) then begin
      print,'INV_INDEX: wrong number of arguments'
      return,newindex
   endif
   if (n_elements(index) eq 0) then begin
      print,'INV_INDEX: no valid index passed'
      return,newindex
   endif
   if (totaln lt n_elements(index)) then begin
      print,'INV_INDEX: totaln lt n_elements(index)'
      return,newindex
   endif
   if (totaln le 1) then return,newindex    ; no data there

   ; and handle the two situations:
   if (max(index) lt 0) then begin   ; no valid index passed
      newindex = indgen(totaln)      ; create an integer array
      return,newindex                ; with totaln elements
   endif

   ; else a valid indexarray was passed and we can construct the inverse
   newindex = indgen(totaln)
   newindex(index) = -1
   i = where(newindex ge 0,count)
   if (count gt 0) then newindex = newindex(i)  $
   else newindex = -1

   return, newindex
end