Re: Object Data and pointer assignments

"J.D. Smith" wrote:

> David Fanning wrote:
> >
> > J.D. Smith (jdsmith@astro.cornell.edu) writes:
> >
> > > Just to be clear... you are free to free self.inarray, and point it somewhere
> > > else, at any time.  This can be useful if you have a list which is either empty
> > > (NULL pointer a.k.a. a dangling reference), or not (pointer to a list of finite
> > > size).  If the list changes size, and becomes empty again, you can simply free
> > > it, which indicates its emptiness.  If it then grows again, simply use ptr_new()
> > > to get another heap variable for it.  So, while it might be easiest in some
> > > cases only to call ptr_new() once, in other cases it is useful to let a single
> > > member variable like self.inarray point to different heap variables over its
> > > life.
> >
> > Lord knows I need more excitement in my life if I'm quibbling with
> > quibbles, but let me make one suggestion:
> >
> > If I want to point to an "empty" variable, I prefer to
> > use a pointer to an undefined variable. The advantage
> > to me is that this is a VALID pointer, in contrast
> > to the NULL pointer, which is an invalid pointer.
> >
> > Note:
> >
> >    IDL> a = Ptr_New()
> >    IDL> Print, Ptr_Valid(a)
> >          0
> >    IDL> *a = 5
> >        % Unable to dereference NULL pointer: A.
> >
> >    IDL> b = Ptr_New(/Allocate_Heap)
> >    IDL> Print, Ptr_Valid(b)
> >          1
> >    IDL> *b = 5
> >
> > I like this because it fits into the programming style
> > I've developed. For example:
> >
> >    IF N_Elements(color) EQ 0 THEN color = 5
> >    IF N_Elements(*b) EQ 0 THEN *b = 5
> >
> > But again, you must *initialize* this pointer to an
> > undefined variable in the INIT method, NOT in the __DEFINE
> > module.
> >

> That's a nice idea.  I hadn't thought of doing it that way.  In my method, the
> validity of the pointer is what indicates an empty vs. non-empty list.  In your
> method, whether the variable pointed to by the pointer is defined provides the
> same distinction.  With your method, you save yourself tests like:
>
>         if ptr_valid(ptr) n_elem=0 else n_elem=n_elements(ptr)

meant:
	if ptr_valid(ptr) n_elem=0 else n_elem=n_elements(*ptr)

of course.

> (of which I have *many*) in favor of:
>
>         n_elem=n_elements(*ptr)
>
> This is very clean.  To pay for that, though, each time your list (or whatever)
> reaches 0 size, you must do a:
>
> ptr_free,ptr
> ptr=ptr_new(/ALLOC)
>
> the latter line not being required in my method (a consequence of the
> indistinguishability of null pointers and dangling pointers).  I think this
> trade is well worth it, though, and I will consider using your method in the
> future.

One nice feature of my method is the ability to "zero" many lists or data
constructions quite simply.  E.g. suppose I had a pointer "l" to a list of
pointers, each to a list, along with a few other lists.  To zero out all of
those lists, I can simply say:

ptr_free,*l,l1,s.l2,...

whereas in your method, I'd have to say:

ptr_free,*l
for i=0,n_elements(l)-1 do *l[i]=ptr_new(/ALLOC)
l1=ptr_new(/ALLOC)
s.l2=ptr_new(/ALLOC)

which could introduce more room for errors.  I'll let you know how I fare with
your technique.

JD

--
 J.D. Smith                             |*|      WORK: (607) 255-5842
 Cornell University Dept. of Astronomy  |*|            (607) 255-6263