Widget Button trigger through keypress?

In order to satisfy users of the previous version of the software I'm
developing, I'd like to be able to trigger a widget button by pressing a
designated key on the keyboard, whilst retaining the option to press buttons
with the mouse.

I know the get_kbrd function can be used to read a character from the
keyboard, which could be tested in a case statement and then the appropriate
procedure called; but this seems rather long-winded. Is there a simple way
to associate a keyboard button with a widget button?

Thanks for any help,

Oliver